CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, October 7, 2008

A Crude Civilization ~Ralph's Journal~ Ch. 8

Jack’s words antagonized the littluns mind. They were now filled with terror as he convinced them that the beast lurked on the mountaintop. I glanced at him, a boy that could not relate to the well being of anybody else but his own. Why must he tell this? I question myself in a deep state of confusion. There is no true physical evidence. Even with the little we know, we disable ourselves to know any more. Jack singles me out in a cruel attempt to intimidate me. He accuses me of being a coward. The only thing I could possibly be guilty of is being overly cautious. It was only my instincts that compelled me not to take a risk greater than my position. I only wanted a secure state of safety. Yet, I was beginning to turn my head on this idea as I observed the crude change in our civilization. Jack proposes that I should be removed from my leadership role. However, the boys kept hush and couldn’t disclose any feelings. Our hearts, our souls, our minds had hardened to an extent I couldn’t begin to comprehend.

In deep rage, Jack rose to his feet. The blood in my veins had coagulated into a profuse loathing. He declared he is leaving and any boy is welcome to come along. I saw nothing more than a savage, a rebel, and a very lost boy. I slipped into a depression, almost giving up. This was the beginning of the end.

Boys slowly started to disappear only to end up on the other side of the island. The forest swallowed them up and spit them right back up into Jack’s presence. His tribe was rising to a place that could potentially overpower mine. It was his bloodthirsty disposition that frightened me. I could only imagine what they were doing. The most they were capable of was delighting in the blood of a newly slaughtered sow.

Piggy and I lay under the shelter. The dying palms frowned and caressed my smudged skin. A rattle emerged from the forest. A heavy incantation drowned us in our own notions. The roof above us shook in a way that we could only attribute to the evilness of a boy. Jack’s tribe was descending upon us. I closed by eyes and rolled in the sheets of the sand. I was just an animal being preyed, I was aware of no more. Somewhere on they island there was some form of peace. I wasn’t sure how to achieve it but I knew it was reality. I peered into the forest yearning for an answer. I was also aware that there was a sense of evil.

0 comments: