CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, September 21, 2008

Dance of the Pig ~Piggy's Journal~ Ch. 3-4

The sound of the littluns’ laughter echoed through the forest. I chose a more solitary activity as I lay on the platform. The ocean was vast, almost as if in a perpetual competition with the enormity of the sky. All I knew it that they were equally imposing as I rest as a speck in the sand. I tried to go on unnoticed and my only visual source was through my peripheral vision.

I secretly glanced over to Ralph and Simon. They were attempting to build shelter with their raw hands. They struggled but I kept hush knowing I was of no help. As I entertained many thoughts, I realized I am the precocious one. Perhaps I am the only one not persuaded by my own ego. However, no one else cared. Nobody dared realize that any of my opinions may have significance. They just see me as a whiny fat boy complaining of asthma. I do say that I indeed try to stand up for myself and speak my mind. But I must admit, it is entirely worthless. So, now I choose to observe and keep hush. I will avoid at all costs not to be singled out.

I was lost in a trance of notions when I heard the elevations of an argument. The silence had been broken. The hateful yells were lost in the wind and changed into bitter murmurs. I could only obtain the basis of their argument. Jack had a bloodthirsty look in his eyes and was gnarling his teeth. He spoke a rambling incantation of hunting and killing pig. Ralph remained unfrightened and with true anger, he delivered his words. He warned of what tasks were most eminent, like assembling some form of shelter. They argued for quite some time and I couldn’t help but wonder what effect I would have had on the situation. I highly doubt we would be in this tangle if they had only heard my words in the first place. Still, I kept hush and only observed the series of trials that were now arising. I will just conceal myself to the surrounding chaos.

Again, commotion rises up once more. Boys are wildly treading through the sand as the familiar voice of Ralph booms. I am now standing in his presence, but I am invisible. He cries out, “Ship!” as his head whips toward the flowery mountain. There is no smoke. He purses his lips, bewildered by it all, he decides to stampede up the mountain as fast as his legs will carry him. Simon flows in hesitant steps and I feel obligated to follow. However, this asthma got the best of me and I was now dragging my feet well behind the others. When I finally appeared on the mountaintop, a cool sense of discomfort was present.

Jack and Ralph’s personal dispositions were quite contrary. Jack spoke of spearing a pig and seemed very proud. Ralph peers down searching for the right words to say in his furious state of mind. He yells with all emotion in him, “You! You let the fire out!” Now, the truth is released. Ralph frantically speaks of the ship and the lost chance of being rescued. Jack’s mind is consumed with thoughts of the kill. This would surely go nowhere. An unwanted feeling of righteousness fell upon me. I tried to fight it, but the words poured out,“ This was all you and your stupid hunters! We traded being rescued for the carcass of a pig! All because of your obsession with hunting!” All eyes were on me so I couldn’t back down. Jack threw a punch. The stinging contact shook my body and my specs fell to the ground. I heard boys mocking in laughter saying, “Shut up Fatty!” Simon’s hand reaches to grab my specs and then he tells me that one lens has cracked. He quivers as he places them in my hand. I do not back down and continue spilling my words of hate. He ignores me and glances back to Jack. He says, “Truly Ralph, I apologize about the fire.” He says nothing more.

The pig roasts over the haunting fire. I am left hungry and empty handed. I debate whether to speak up and realize that the worst has already happened. So, I say, “Aren’t I to have any?” Jack says I contributed nothing to the hunt. My mind races through all the things that I could have said but my lips only say, “ Neither did Ralph.” Jack rises in anger and Simon quietly tosses meat to me. Before any more of this continues, Ralph stands on a log and demands a meeting now. Our community is evaporating into nothing, as are we.

0 comments: