CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, September 14, 2008

Infernal Flames ~Ralph's Journal~ Ch. 2

The sun is still sitting high in the cerulean sky. Exaggerated faces stare at me for answers. I am without words, and honestly, I know just as much as they do. Then, it dawns on me, an idea that it is not one bit incredulous for the mind. The conch, that has brought us here together, has had more answers than one might assume. The boy who’s hands in which the shell lays has the right to speak and be listened to. When in possession, the boys will hush and let the words of a fellow boy echo through their minds. But, I knew that sometimes this might not work. I know that the fat one, Piggy, would take this advantage to its fullest. He would try and speak his nonsense thoughts. He often spoke to me and wrongly assumed I cared. Really, it seems to me that any knowledge he had was based on a farce.

I stood proud in front of the juveniles I lead and confessed that I needed solitary time to construct some sort of a conspiracy, something logical. Hence, I treaded along the shoreline away from the cluster of sweaty bodies. In front of me was a curved palm tree; its leaves were as drapes embracing the sand. My martyred backside scraped against it as I sat in a modest ball hiding from my troubles. I was overwhelmed, it seemed like infernal flames were devouring every last bit of hope. Then, I realized something that could make all the difference, a fire. It would symbolize our existence and signify our need for help.

I contributed the idea to the group and none seemed surprised as if they had already discovered it. They all debated how to initialize such a thing, but already knew. On the island’s central mountain, we would set the blaze. Before I knew it, the boys had collected the wood and bashful sparks were spreading into vigorous flames. I was a bit bewildered and could hardly manage the situation. I suppose the long day had worn me down to less than consciousness. A spectrum of orange and yellow began, capering from limb to limb of each tree. It induced me into an indifferent mood and the flames surrounded the island.

Piggy yelled with fury. He spoke of the little boy who had with such ebullience said he had seen a beastie. He had been playing close to where the fire first began and no one has seen him since. Inside I felt the overpowering notion that he was gobbled up by the flames alive. I knew it must be true. A cloak of shame fell upon me and I couldn’t show my face. Tears welled in my eyes as I was forced to face the unruly truth. I was the one to blame for the young boys passing. Fingers would now be pointed at me. I felt misplaced as the leader, unable to stand the tribulations to come. Perhaps I was just a bit too officious to be leader in the first place. The sun had now vanished into the thick night haze. We had lost one of our people and now had no shelter to turn to.

1 comments:

Bia said...

It's really interesting how u put the story together.