CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, February 15, 2009

~Post 1~ Once Upon a Quinceañera

Quote 1~ “ New generations feel entitled to what older first generations struggled to obtain for them.” ~Page 6~Paragraph 1~ Narrator~

Significance~ I think that this quote relates to the question, “What hardships do the characters endure as they make a new life? ” I say this because as immigrants emerge into a new world of culture, their old ways of understanding start to diminish slowly without an effective way of stopping it. In this case, the girls receiving quinceañeras see it as a “right of passage”, when they are truly a “rite of passage.”

Personal Connection~ A feel I can personally connect to this through my own experiences. Sometimes in life you think you are just naturally entitled to something, when you are actually not. Often, you are not the only person a specific thing involves. Many people contribute something to achieve the final result. I have realized that some things come and go, but you have to work hard for what you want.

Question 1~ What do you see is the difference between “right” and “rite”?

Quote 2~ “On the one hand my parents fought to protect us from the assimilating, alluring, corrupting influence of American culture, but on the other hand they pushed us to excel and succeed in this new world where the old mainstays would no longer be available to us as Dominican girls from a nice family.”

Significance~ I think this quote best follows the question, “What challenges do the characters face upon their arrival?” It must be really hard to maintain a balance of both cultures. Especially for children who know less than the parents about what exactly is happening and will happen in the near future.

Personal Connection~ Sometimes I have been confused by the voices of two people very close to me. Perhaps two separate parents or two friends, but in life everybody has different opinions. It can be very hard to know who to listen two and have the other person understand also.

Question 2~ Can you think of a similar situation when a person feels two ways about the same thing?

3 comments:

soccer13_babii said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
soccer13_babii said...

Quote 1: I really like this quote, I think you did a good job choosing the right question it goes along with because sometimes if you're trying to get used to something you forget all about what you started with, which would be their culture.

Question 1: I think "right of passage" means they basically have the okay to have a quince, saying the oppertunity is avaialable. I think "rite of passage" means they have a chance to move on in life, for a wuince the rite of passage would be becoming a woman.

Quote 2: I like this quote because it has great vocabulary and I like how it's worded. I like how it's saying that one hand wants them to do one thing and the other hand wants them to do the complete opposite. I also like your personal connection because it is like a world connection and it's very true.

Question 2: For example if a parent has something from their past or memory that isn't neccesarily bad, they just have something against it then their kid goes and does it, one part of them wahts to punish the kid but the oter part knows there is nothing wrong with doing it, they just don't personally like it.

~BLYSS~

Bia said...

Quote 1: I like that quote because it shows what it must have been hard for the immigrants to try to blend in with other and not be the stand out person

Question1: My answer is same as Blyss, "right of passgae" its what the young latina girls would say, "This quinceanera, is my rite of passage it will led me into the womanhood, which I am ready to do etc."

Quote 2:I liked that quote it very unique quote usually not used very often not a lot of people think that way which what I like about it

Question 2: I really don't have a good explaintion, maybe that a young couple are in love, they have known each other since childhood. The boy wants to get marry because he feels that he is ready to a husband but the girl is only fifteen and she doesn't feel like she is ready to a big step into her life. same subject but different thoughts and preparations. *BIA*