Quote 1~ “Or to put it differently still, it is an opiate for an oppressed class.” ~Page 57~Paragraph 3~Bruce Lincoln book~
Significance~ I think this quote best relates to the question, “How do the characters maintain their cultural ties to their homeland while living in America?” The person speaking obviously does not see a great importance to quinceañeras. However, no matter the financial state of the parents, they try their best to maintain the tradition.
Personal Connection~ I have attended quinceañeras and witnessed all the luxury’s that go along with it. Parents will often put themselves in debt to give their daughter this extravagant party to feel like a princess. A lot of times, the girls are not very mindful of their parent money.
Question 1~ What is your view on the importance of quinceañeras?
Quote 2~ “ They live on Myspace.com and shop at Abercrombie but listen to Spanish radio and embrace diversity.” ~Page 70~ Paragraph 2~ Will Cain
Significance~ In this passage, they are talking about third generation Latinos. I read that the second generation mostly abandoned their culture and the first struggled to adapt after immigrating to the U.S. Again, it best fits the question, “How do the characters maintain their cultural ties to their homeland while living in America?” This gives specific example of being American and maintaining cultural ties?
Personal Connection~ I am a third generation Latina. My grandma came here from Mexico. I grew up used to hearing Spanish spoken and eating Mexican family recipes. I do have a great interest in my culture and always categorize myself as being Mexican. However, I also do the very things specific to the quote.
Question 2~ Do you have any Hispanic friends that maintain their cultural practices? How?
Journal #9 from the perspective of Bob Ewell
17 years ago
2 comments:
Quote 1- I agree with what you think the signifigance is and your personal connection, you make two really great points. I think parents do put a very big amount of effort into quinceaneras. They are just following their traditions and culture.
Question 1- I think quinceaneras is just like a sweet sixteen or a bar mitzvah. It is just about peoples cultures or traditions.
Quote 2- I like your quote because it is realting to the present. How you see Latina people around doing those things. Although you know they're Mexican because they're embracing their culture.
Question 2- A lot my friends that are Mexican speak Spanish atleast a little. They also eat Mexican food or embrace their culture by quinces and things like that.
~BLYSS~
Quote#1: I agree with your significance and your personal connection with the quote. You really show that cultures and traditions are important to have.
Question#1: Quinceanera is like sweet fifteen in Latina country like America have sweet sixteen well they have sweet fifteen. But for the Latina can do whatever when they turn fifteen they can do what they want to do like go clubbing are allowed for them, shave legs, wear make-up and even get marry.
Quote#2: I like that quote it really grab my attention because it's so unique and I want to know more about them.
Question#2:lot of my friends are Mexican, I have been to few quinceaneras. They have different culture than we do.
Post a Comment