Quote 1~ “ No matter how far I traveled down the paths of Abbot might open, I needed to keep coming back to where I had come from, to drink at the springs of my culture, practice my Spanish and my merengue, and feel grateful for the time spent with my father in a world that was neither here nor there.”
Significance~ “How do the characters maintain their cultural ties to their homeland while living in America?” This is the question I think the quote I found directly correlates to. I think this because no matter how Americanized she becomes, she still has a want to practice her old ways.
Personal Connection~ We are learning about immigration in class, I heard a poem that reminds me of this. It is called “ The New Colossus” and was written by Emma Lazarus. In it was a line that says, "Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!” To me this means bring your old culture into America and maintain your rituals.
Question 1~ What do you think the author means by, “…in a world that was neither here nor there?”
Quote 2~ “ Odd as it seems for a supposedly classless Democratic society, America has always ha a fascination with wealth, privilege, and royalty, and nowhere is this more apparent than in its debutante rituals.”
Significance~ Although no question truly embraces this question, I think, “What hardships do the characters endure as they make a new life?” can n some ways fit. This quote is all about how these people view America. Their insight can sometimes help us see new things that we couldn’t before simply because we have been accustomed to them to long.
Personal Connection~ I chose this quote because I have never personally looked at America in such a way. A lot of time you think of American ways not very rich in tradition. However, we choose to invest and engage in high society living.
Question 2~ Do you think in current day America has become more cheap or still maintained popular lavish living?
Journal #9 from the perspective of Bob Ewell
17 years ago
1 comments:
Quote 1- I like this quote because an immigrant is reminding themselves to keep up their traditions. Also I like how it's worded because it seems very fancy and elegant. I also really like how you tied your personal connection into the poem we did in class.
Question 1- I think it means like a world with their own traditions but also their new ones.
Quote 2- I like this quote because it makes me think about American traditions too and how we truly do have many different ways. I like how you word everything, it seems very professional and you have great opinions.
Question 2- I think since so many peopl eimmigrate or visit America, a lot of our stuff is very expensive. Maybe not everywhere but big places people tend to go to. For example Disneyland but at the store things aren't more expensive because of that.
~BLYSS~
Post a Comment