Quote 1~ "I yearned to belong and be loved by my own familia both here and back on the island I persisted in calling home." Page 169~Paragragh 3~ Narrator~
Significance~ I think that this quote relates to the question, “How do the characters maintain their cultural ties to their homeland while living in America?” I think this they need to maintain their culture because that is who they truly are. After all, America is made up of many diverse people.
Personal Connection~ I understand this quote very well because it’s talking about being divided as a person and wanting different things. While talking about Quinceaneras, this can be important because she is undergoing many changes and discovering herself.
Question 1~ Why do you think she persisted in calling the Dominican Republic home if she was living in America?
Quote 2~ “ Some us have to break first before we can get stronger.” Page 170~Paragraph 5~ Narrator~
Significance~ I think that this quote related to the 5th question that asks, “What hardships do the characters endure as they make a new life?” This can apply to all people as well, and not just immigrants. Although, immigrant in theses times had the worst of it and were still grateful for the little they had.
Personal Connection~ For me, this reminded me of the saying, “If it doesn’t kill you, it can only make you stronger.” In this case, I think this is very true. You learn from your mistakes and try to pass your experiences to someone else.
Question 2~ what is the first thing that comes to mind when you read this quote?
Journal #9 from the perspective of Bob Ewell
17 years ago
0 comments:
Post a Comment