CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

To Kill A Mockingbird *5* ~Ch. 13-15~ Perspective: Aunt Alexandra

What a fine place it is here in Maycomb. I sit on the porch completely undisturbed and observe the pace of the day. In the near distance, I see Atticuses children emerge with a shadowed figure, a negroe. To be honest, Scout and Jem have not been on my good side since they knew their first word, especially Scout. She isn’t at all even the faded image of what a Finch girl should be. So, I guess that is my sole purpose here, to portray a feminine influence that could be to her advantage. I’m not even sure I am looking forward to it, but I cannot stand the way she prances the streets looking like a cotton picker. She is oblivious to the world around her and Atticus is simply just too soft on that girl. They run up to me and deliver their insincere greetings. I order Calpurnia to take my bags and I am sure we are both aware of my degrading intent. The next few hours continue as a blur in my mind. The children speak and I listen for what I think is required. Hours after Atticus arrives, the two of us sit in silence. I finally tell him that he best be educating his kids about the family. He reveals a pensive smile but in his lame attempts, he only made the young girl cry and then sympathized with her. Furthermore, the only thing on my mind is how useless Calpurnia’s duties are. I advise Atticus to let her go, but was surprised by his stern disagreement contrary to the acquiescence I expected. That night after a those two kids get at it and are sent to their room, Scout finds a boy under her bed…Dill. I don’t see how Atticus is running this house, his kids run wild and know even a boy who aint his is causing trouble here. The boy himself is having family troubles and ran away fourteen miles. A young boy stealing from his mom and hitching a ride on the back of a cotton wagon, a delinquent in its purest state. Scout and Jem sure know how to pick ‘em.

About a week later, nothing less than ordinary came out from those kids, they snuck out. Atticus was in town at the jail dealing with his nigger trial and the kids were being ignorantly curious. They followed him, and I knew it. I didn’t even say a word to stop them; I figured they better learn from all their wrong doings. I believe Atticus would be encumbered by their presence. At the very least, I’ll be the one to tell on them to Atticus. I just never thought that Atticus would be happy they came.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your blog was good because it had a lot of detail and descriptions. I really liked how you started you blog because it made you want to read more