Fate was closing in on me. In my last attempts to convince the jury, I gathered the evidence that was clear in my mind. Mayella was guilty. She tempted a Negroe and tried to put the evidence of her offense away from her. Now, she stands before all of us caught in an entanglement of deception because she could not sustain her own conscience. Tom Robinson may very well be the only male figure, much less human being, who has ever treated her with decent respect.
I’m not sure what came over me, but I was beginning to feel I might be able to direct this case in my favor. I felt a connection with Judge Taylor, like he saw exactly the reality of who was at fault. Calpurnia appeared leaning on the railing. Our hands met as she gave me a note from my sister. It clearly informed me that the kids had been out since noon and she hadn’t the slightest idea where they might be. I wasn’t exactly concerned I knew my kids very well. It was Judge Taylor who brought it to everybody’s attention that the children were sitting in the colored balcony with Reverend Sykes. I thought it best for them to return home, but after begging in its purest state, I allowed them to return after supper.
Then, they rose. It was utterly out of respect. The black community was on their feet as I stepped out the door of the courthouse. What was meant to happen indeed happened and it was not in our favor but simply inevitable. Jem’s tears shattered my heart. I could not function properly and found myself lying in the darkness pondering my wretched predicament.
The next morning, Calpurnia introduced me to a table decorated in delicious meals. Members of the black community had so graciously donated it in gratitude. Ah, bless these souls that live in a world so diverse from my own. The hours kept progressing and I needed to continue with my daily pursuits. I left for town and was walking the corner past the post office. I met eyes with Bob Ewell and he approached me with malicious intent. I show no sign of apprehension on my face, as it is only a weak emotion of the body. There is nothing that this ignorant man could do to harm me, at least do to make a permanent impact on the entirety of my life. He cussed, he spit, and he threatened. The man knows no better.
Journal #9 from the perspective of Bob Ewell
17 years ago
1 comments:
I like how detailed your blog was. Also it was a good way to describe all of the chapters.
Post a Comment